Nolensville is a town in Williamson County, Tennessee. Located in Middle Tennessee, it is approximately twenty-two miles southeast of Nashville. The town was re-incorporated in 1996.
Nolensville was founded by William Nolen, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War in 1797. The town grew quickly and was first incorporated in 1838 with specific town limits as well as identifying 23 numbered lots and 3 unnumbered lots with owners’ names associated with each lot. In the early 1800s, churches and schools for both blacks and whites were established which served the small agricultural community. Nolensville was heavily impacted by the Civil War. The town provided confederate soldiers, as well as fighting many skirmishes around the town. Following the war, the town continued to grow as a small, rural community in the northeast corner of Williamson County and in 1996, re-incorporated as the Town of Nolensville. A more detailed history follows:
Legend has it that William Nolen, along with his wife Sarah and five children, were traveling through middle Tennessee, in 1797, when his wagon broke down causing the family to delay traveling until the wagon was repaired. After inspecting the local terrain, William Nolen noted the area had an abundance of game and clean creek water. These resources convinced him and his family that they needed to travel no further. Regardless of the reasons, Nolen purchased property and sold lots for the town, which still bears his name, Nolensville. The first town lots were sold to George Barnes in 1819, 1/2 acre for $55.
Nolen and his family built their log cabin home and farm and lived there until his death when the land was sold. The property changed hands numerous times and the original log cabin was enclosed within a larger home ultimately known as the McCord House. The McCord home has been moved and preserved with parts of the original Nolen cabin exposed.
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,861 people, 1,831 households residing in the town. The population density was 617 people per square mile.